Friday, August 20, 2010

Music: Joanna Newsom


Joanna Newsom, In California

I don't belong to anyone
my heart is heavy as an oil drum

and I don't want to be alone

my heart is yellow as an ear of corn



Joanna Newsom, Jack Rabbits

I shaped up overnight, you know
the day after she died
When I saw my heart, and I tell you, darling
it was open wide




Joanna Newsom, Esme


Joanna Newsom, Baby Birch




Joanna Newsom, Sadie



Joanna Newsom, Swansea


Joanna Newsom, '81


Joanna Newsom, Kingfisher


Joanna Newsom, Ribbon Bows


Joanna Newsom, Soft as Chalk


Joanna Newsom, Go Long


Joanna Newsom, Does Not Suffice

I picture you rising up in the morning
Stretching out on your boundless bed

Beating a clear path to the shower

Scouring yourself red
The tap of hangers swaying in the closet

Unburdened hooks and empty drawers

And everywhere I tried to love you

Is yours again and only yours


Joanna Newsom, Occident




Joanna Newsom, On a Good Day

So, across the years and miles and through
On a good day you can feel my love for you

Will you leave me be so that we can stay true

To the path that you have chosen?



Joanna Newsom, Good Intentions Paving Company


Joanna Newsom, No Provenance


Joanna Newsom, Have One on Me